- Muster Roll Enishone - 1630
- Poll Tax Ordinance - 1660-1
- Hearth Money Rolls -1665
- Flax Growers List - 1796
- Tithe Applotment - 1825
- Slater's Directory - 1846
- Griffith's Valuation - 1857
- Parish Records (Catholic)
- Census - 1901
- Census - 1911
- Maritime Memorial
- Other Records
Old photographs Old photos of Moville and the surrounding areas.
Maps Old maps of the two parishes in Moville.
Books Read a history of Moville, and see other references to the area.
Lewis' Topographical Dictionary Extracts from the Topographical Dictionary published in 1837
FHC Records Family History Centre (LDS) film references for Moville records
Slater's Commercial Directory of Donegal - 1846
Slater's Directory was the leading directory in Ireland that recorded the landed gentry, clergy and local trades people. In the 1846 edition for County Donegal, as the famine swept through Ireland, there were fifty four people mentioned from Moville. The article reads ........
A small market town, in the parish of Lower Moville, barony of Inishowen, county of Donegal, is 19 miles NNE from Londonderry, and about 5 1/2 SW of Inishowen Head; situated at the south-eastern extremity of its parish, on the western shore of Lough Foyle, on the road coastways between the two places before-mentioned. A clever work on the towns of Ireland thus notices Moville ...
"It is sheltered from the westerly gales by the Squire's Car and Craignamaddy mountains; it possesses good bathing ground within the strongly marine waters of Lough Foyle; it looks out on a wide sweep of beautiful scenery athwart the bosum and around the shores of the lough; and, in general it has already acquired a high character, and is likely to acquire a still higher one as a very eligible sea-bathing resort for the citizens of Londonderry and the inhabitants of the circumjacent country."
The town is clean, possesses every accommodation for visitors in lodging-houses, baths and hotels. Among the latter Mr. M'Connell's Commercial Hotel is an excellent house, and commands beautiful views of the coast, and over the counties of Londonderry, Antrim and Donegal, with the lively addition of steamers passing to and fro daily on the lough. Three miles hence is the fort of Green Castle, furnished with the, at present, unnecessary means of defending the entrance to the lough.
The places of worship are the parish church (situated two miles hence), a Roman Catholic chapel, and a Presbyterian meeting-house. A dispensary, two schools under the national board and one of the Ladies Hibernian Society, are the charitable institutions. In the school-house of the last named, divine service is performed every Sunday evening. The market is held on Thursday, and fairs on the 28th of the months of January, April, July and October. Population of the parish, in 1841, 6,061, including 595 inhabitants of the town.
POST OFFICE - Letters from all parts arrive (from Londonderry) every afternoon at half-past four, and are despatched every morning at half-past seven.
CAR - To DERRY a mail car from the Post Office every morning at half-past seven: goes through Quigley's Point and Muff.
|Anderson John||Post Master|
|Baird William||Plumber, Glazier & Leather Seller|
|Barr Letitia||Mistress, Ladies' Hibernian School|
|Burleigh Frances||Surgeon & Apothecary|
|Campbell, Lieut. James||Gentry & Clergy||Summer Hill|
|Chichester, Sir Arthur||Gentry & Clergy||Green Castle|
|Clements, Rev Andrew||Presbyterian Minister|
|Corbitt, Mr Hugh||Gentry & Clergy||Ravenscliff|
|Doherty, Rev George||Roman Catholic Parish Priest|
|Doherty James||Spirit & Porter Dealers|
|Doherty John||Master, National School (boys)|
|Doherty Neal||Londonderry Hotel|
|Doherty Sarah||Mistress, National School (girls)|
|Galway, Rev Charles||Rector, Church of Ireland||Gortgowan|
|Gough, Very Revd Thomas||Gentry & Clergy||Glenburney|
|Grierson, Mrs. Harriet||Gentry & Clergy|
|Harvey, Lieut Edward (R.N.)||Gentry & Clergy|
|Haslett, Mr William||Gentry & Clergy|
|Irvine John (M.D. RN)||Surgeon & Apothecary|
|Kelly James||Spirit & Porter Dealers|
|Larkey Edward||Woollen Draper|
|Loughry Daniel||Spirit & Porter Dealers|
|Marks, Rev Stewart||Gentry & Clergy|
|McCausland Marks||Tide Surveyor||Green Castle|
|McClinshey, Rev Michael||Roman Catholic Curate|
|McConnell James||Commercial Hotel|
|McDivit John||Clerk of Petty Sessions|
|McDonagh Patrick||Woollen Draper & Haberdasher|
|McHenry, Rev Neal||Roman Catholic Curate|
|McIntyre, Miss||Gentry & Clergy||New Park|
|McKenny Thomas||Linen & Woollen Draper & Haberdasher|
|McLaren Jno.||Baker & Haberdasher|
|McLaughlin John||Spirit & Porter Dealers|
|McLaughlin John||Woollen Draper|
|McLaughlin Thomas||Spirit & Porter Dealers|
|Moarn John||Head Constable Constabulary Station|
|Montgomery, Rev Samuel||Gentry & Clergy|
|Nolan Mr||Land Surveyor||Green Castle|
|O'Kane, Mr Michael||Gentry & Clergy||Green Castle|
|Ramsay, Capt.||Gentry & Clergy||The Ark|
|Staples, Rev John Molesworth||Gentry & Clergy||The Glebe|
|Tracy Lawrence||Grain Merchant|
|Wickham James C||Sub-inspector Constabulary Station|
Many of these people are mentioned in A History of Moville and its Neighbourhood. Click on the link to read it.
The information is for your personal use. You may link to any page on this site, but please do not copy any pages without the prior permission of the webmaster.